Saturday, December 31, 2011

Word of the Year

Happy New Year guys! I can't believe it is already another year. I don't know about you, but I'm so excited about 2012.

Most of you know me pretty well and that I'm very goal driven. It's a great thing if I want to get a job done, but it can borderline on being a bit obsessive. Like writing a particular number of words a day or reading a book a day or jogging so many miles.

In the past I've made up my goals and they have helped me keep focused on what I want for myself and my career. For instance, if you check out this post, it had my goals for last year.

I am happy to report I accomplished everything on my list! I even snagged an amazing agent too! Actually, he's beyond amazing and I'm so lucky to have him representing me.

Thinking about this upcoming year, I'm going to go a different route. I'm focusing my goals on a specific word and then revolve all my goals around that word.

So my word for this year is STRENGTHEN. How will I strengthen myself as a writer?

1. Read- focusing on diversifying my reading choices and going beyond my standby favorites
2. Attend conferences- building my craft and networking
3. Finish revising my current WIP and transforming it into a book that's even better than anything I've ever written yet.
4. Write another book (grin)- but for this one I'd like to try a genre that I haven't written in yet. I'm excited about this one too!

I want to challenge you to make up your goals as well. But as you make the list, remember to make sure that these goals are within YOUR control. I have my secret wish list too (sorry, not sharing that one!), but those are wishes that I have no control over and for goals, I believe that they need to be attainable by you.

So, if you were to choose a word for your year, what would it be?

Pictures from Skinny Bodybuilding.

12 comments:

Elana Johnson said...

Good word! Mine would be FOCUS. I need to eliminate the noise and chaos around me and FOCUS on what I can control, change, and create.

Mary Beth said...

I love this idea. Mine is a noun--DETERMINATION. We'll see where that takes me.

Christina Farley said...

Oh those are great words! I love them.

Jane Ellen Freeman said...

My word choice for 2012 is UPWARD. Why? I feel poised for some really exciting things to happen in my writing life.

Golden Eagle said...

CONTINUE. Not everything that happened in 2011 was great, but there were some good things; and I want to, if not repeat the exact same things, continue making progress.

Misha Gerrick said...

Great approach to goal setting. Mine will probably be finish, since my main goal this year is to finish Doorways so that I can send it out.

Good luck with your goals and may your 2012 exceed your expectations. :-)

Kelly Polark said...

Great idea for a word. Good luck to you! I think mine, like Elana's, would be focus.

Kelly Polark said...

Or balance. :)

Kate Fall said...

Christy, I do this every year, and I've decided my word this year is POSITIVE. Positive actions, positive thoughts. (Although I love everyone's words here! UPWARD is a great one.)

Old Kitty said...

Happy New Year to you!! May your 2012 be imbued with writerly strength and may all your secret wished come true too! Yay!

Congratulations with achieving your 2011 goals - what an inspiration!! Take care
x

Christina Farley said...

Kelly- Balance is a good one too!
Kate- Love your goal to be positive.
Thank you Old Kitty! You are too sweet!

Bish Denham said...

I like Elana's word. Focus would be a good one for me this year. And I've started out being focused so staying that way in important. Think I'm going to adopt it.

A big huge hug of congratulations for reaching all your 2011 goals. You go girl!